Best Automatic Litter Box For Multiple Cats
An automatic litter box is ideal for getting rid of scooping the litter box daily, which is certainly a tedious job marking the repulsiveness of cat ownership. Cats are amongst the most adorable pets providing us with love and snuggles.
However, together, they also bring plenty of waste. Instead of manually scooping out of a filthy litter box, an automatic cat litter cleans the waste from a litter box on its own. In this way, it makes the cleaning task easier although they do not fully take up the responsibility of maintenance. Nevertheless, such self-cleaning boxes consume less time as well as effort to control odor in a better way than manual scooping.
If used in the correct way, the automatic litter boxes can reduce the cleaning burden of cat owners significantly. Because there are several brands offering such boxes in the market, it is essential to choose one as per your needs.
The best selection is actually dependent upon several factors such as the number of cats you own, the environment, budget, and the storage location of the box. Keeping this in mind, here are the two most reliable and affordable automatic litter boxes to consider for your household.
Litter Robot III Open-Air
This one is perhaps is in maximum proximity with a maintenance-free litter box. The Open-Air comes with a distinct design that eliminates manual scooping, especially for multiple-cat households. The bubble type window at the rear of the Globe provides addition space of almost 3” to the chamber area, which means more natural light entering into the box as well as accommodating larger cats.
- Working : It has a special sensor that registers the weight of the pet upon entering into the box and activates a rotating mechanism when the cat leaves, for leaving the waste into a drawer. It also activates a countdown of seven minutes for starting a cleaning cycle. The sensor is weight-sensitive and works with at least 5 pounds weight, which means it is not ideal for kittens. The box works with clumping litter and that any plastic bag in the drawer is fine to hold the waste. Usually, a trash bag of 8 to 13 gallon works fine. However, the surface of box should be firm and leveled.
- Cleaning Cycle : There is a 7-minute delay before the cleaning cycle begins. The cleaning cycle stops in case the pet re-enters after which the cycle starts only after another seven minutes, as a security mechanism. When the cat leaves the unit, the countdown starts and the cycle starts on zero minute. The Globe then rotates, filters clean litter from clumps, and puts waste into a bottom drawer. This drawer has a carbon filter to discard odor.
- Maintenance : You need to dispose the collected water in the trash bag every 5-7 days, wash the globe at least once in a month. For cleaning the globe, it suffices to just lift and hose if off with the help of mild soap.
- Suitability : The litter box is ideal for multiple cats weighing between 5-16 lbs, although even cats bigger in size can use it as per their adaptability. The box is a perfect choice for those who can do a significant initial investment in a unit that can work without the supplies from the manufacturer, and that they live in big homes or apartments having cool and fresh air. It is also the choice of busy people who are mostly on trips.
- Pros : Sturdy unit, easy to set, almost maintenance-free, quieter than other options, no manual scooping, easy disposal of waste, enough room, good odor control, no dirty rakes
- Cons : Big dimension, bit big investment, not for kittens, spillage if cat kicks, no water-proof control panel
- Replacement DFI Hardware for your Litter-Robot 3
- Compatible with Litter-Robot 3 only
CatGenie Self Washing Self Flushing Box
This model ensures that you do not have to touch the litter ever in its presence. Unlike the above product, the CatGenie system features special washable granules instead of litter. It seems similar to a small toilet in look but functions as an appliance. The system comes with a new approach to maintaining an automatic litter box, wherein the bowl’s interior having the granules is sanitized and washed thrice followed by drying the granules with a built-in dryer.
- Working : The urine empties away from the granules, flushing only the waste. The process begins with a GenieHand scooping the solid waste, which is then collected in a chamber while fresh water fills the box. An impeller converts the collected waste into liquid for safe removal, which is then drained via the washer pipe connecting into sewer. Now, more spinning rinse cycles crop up, SaniSolution sterilize everything, and a hot-air blower dries up the box and granules. The entire process needs almost 34 minutes. Washable litter consisting of granules is permanent, which means there is no need to change or buy it. The model has three different settings: Auto Start for setting it up 1, 2, 3 or 4 times a day, Cat Start for automatic cleaning 10 minutes after the pet uses it, and Push Start for flushing it any time manually. There is also a child lock mode for keeping accidental starts at bay. For installation, you will need a cold water line, electric outlet, and a wastewater drain.
- Cleaning Cycle : You can set a cleaning cycle of 10 minutes for one cat, while 30 minutes for multiple cats. The unit resets to more time of minutes in case a cat re-enters.ÃÂ
- Maintenance : You need not dispose the waste, as the unit is a self-disposer. You only need to clean the impeller at least once a month as well as the unit once in every 2-3 months. For the latter, you need to disassemble the unit for cleaning the base and brim with water and mild liquid soap.
- Suitability : The litter box is ideal for cats of small and average size, which do not shed much. Even kittens can use the box, especially those that are above 6 months in age. The box is a perfect choice for maximum two cats and people having a second bathroom away from the living areas. A garage’s or a laundry room away is ideal for installation.
- Pros : Disposer and flusher, easy to set, no litter contact, hypoallergenic
- Cons : Loud cleaning cycles, ample of tracking granules, occasional clogging, smell in case of soft feces
- Automatic cat box flushes waste away and washes itself clean
- Uses litter-like Washable Granules not clay litter to satisfy cats need to dig and cover
- Ideal for 1-2 & no more than 3 cats of average size and 6 months or older
- Requires hookup to cold water and electrical outlet
- Includes recyclable SaniSolution cartridge and 1 Box of Washable Granules. CatGenie is 19.25inches wide in front, 16inches wide bottom back, 17.5inches top back, 21inches high, 24.5inches deep allowing for hoses. Water Supply Hose 8feet long, Drain Hose 10feet long