What? The cat is not clean on its own? This is however what the breeder and / or the seller told me! Well… there is some truth and some falsehood in all of this! This is precisely the purpose of this article.
The cat is an animal that takes care of its body and its person. You will certainly see him, at least once a day, licking himself to wash himself. He doesn’t like to be dirty.
On our side, at home, it doesn’t matter who caressing our adopted cat, she’ll lick herself after the caress, it’s systematic! (However, she loves caresses, we guarantee it, and even, she claims them, in the evening when we go to bed).
The grooming of his animal by humans is not easy. It is easily done by taking the time and the necessary accessories.
Why should you wash your cat?
It is not because the animal takes care of itself that it should not be washed. Cats should not take more than one to two baths per year. The feline is an animal that must be washed for several reasons, all different:
- The cat is an animal that can spend a large part of its time outdoors. It is often covered with dust by dint of going to places, the most unlikely. Cats get dirty with dust, mud, sand and rain. His natural toilet is not going to be enough to clean him.
- The cat exists in several different breeds. Some breeds require more thorough cleaning, such as the Sphinx which does not have any hair or long-haired cats, such as the Persians who may find themselves confronted with stool or drops of urine which would have stuck to their coat …
- The cat is an amateur of feline competitions where beauty is essential. In this case, it must be maintained often, to bring out a shiny coat that will highlight it.
We will remind you that cats who go outside will be confronted with different elements of outdoor life. First and foremost, we think of parasites and other elements that can harm the health of the animal. Washing it will remove all fleas and other parasites that harm your feline.
Finally, the bath will make it easier to remove the dead hairs that will fall with the weight of the water.
What tools should I have to wash my cat?
A cat’s bath is like a baby: you have to prepare the place where the bath will take place. For this, there are several accessories that are available. The layout of the place must be strategic. This is very important for easy access to the different elements without disturbing the cat who is under enormous stress.
The animal, if it has not been used, during its young age, to the bath, will struggle, you can be sure. In this case, it is better to take it step by step and get it used to contact with water and bath.
The accessories we recommend are:
- The non-slip mat: the cat will not be comfortable if it is in a bathtub or a sink on which it will not be able to lean and grip. In this case, rather than catching your arms and hands with the claws, we will recommend the use of a non-slip mat that will not be able to slip. It is possible, if you do not have one, to opt for a towel that will be placed at the bottom of the tub or sink.
- The washcloth: we prefer a very soft washcloth that is pleasant to the touch. The cat will not appreciate a washcloth that itches or puts it in a defensive position because it has felt irritation.
- Special shampoo for cats: Shampoos for humans will not be used to clean a cat’s coat. The chemical composition is not the same at all. Indeed, the pH of the human and the pH of the cat are different. Human shampoo can create irritations and skin problems for the animal. In addition, the chemical components are not necessarily suitable for the animal. Animal shampoos may contain a scent of perfume to make the animal smell good (for you, because for him it will be a whole different story!).
- A towel: to dry your hands and to wipe them off when the bath is finished.
- Water: a bath without water is not a bath. You have to think about a good water temperature. Avoid exceeding 37 ° C.
- Room temperature: for baths that take place in winter, the room temperature must be higher than normal. The cat catches cold easily and too much heat shock could put it in a bad position.
Should you immerse your cat in water?
The answer is no. Some people will take great pleasure in doing this, but the cat would be very anxious and stressed. He could defend himself, scratch and / or bite … On our side, we prefer to wet him, as on the principle of a shower to wash him and put him in confidence little by little.
How to bathe a cat or a kitten?
Before giving it a bath, you will need to make sure that you have removed any dead hair with a brush and comb. It is after this that you can untangle the hairs, remove the knots and start the bath.
The cat will be installed in the container (tub, sink) where the shower will take place. It will be placed delicately on the mat located at the bottom of the container. To avoid stressing him, consider putting on a washcloth at the water outlet. This will prevent there from being too strong a flow and scare the animal.
Afterwards, you can wet him quietly and take the shampoo to put on his back. We are careful not to press too much on the animal’s body, which could hurt. Ears and eyes will not get wet or washed.
To clean the head, we recommend the use of pH neutral wipes.
Rinsing the animal will be tricky. We do not force it and above all, we make sure to put the flow as low as possible.
Once rinsed, we will wipe the cat carefully. The towel, preferably a sponge, will absorb the water and will be much more effective than a hair dryer which will traumatize the animal.
When it is almost dry, it is rewarded with treats to reassure it. The cat will stay in the room for long minutes to finish drying and washing on its own.
For people who have a cat who is afraid of water, it is possible to opt for a dry shampoo that will help to clean it, without the need for water.
The bath is easily given if all these steps are followed with precision. We will always take care to be careful and slow in his actions so as not to traumatize him. Not hesitating to reassure him by talking to him will greatly help the animal to feel confident.